SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.
Outdoors the sun is shining, and the snow is finally melting. Patches of green grass tease us that spring is finally here. Every year in our house we do a thorough spring cleaning to make the transition from winter to spring even more enjoyable! I thought it would be a great idea this year to make a list of what to do during spring cleaning so it’s an easier project to tackle next year. The goal is to get organized with the spring cleaning duties so that it can be done quicker. The last thing you want is to be stuck inside cleaning while everyone is outside enjoying the weather!
Here’s a check list for your spring cleaning duties!
- Change sheets from down comforter to regular blankets (so you’re not overheated at night)
- Remove the trash in the room/things that don’t belong in the room
- Organize the things that belong in that room so its quicker to find what you need
- If you live near areas which might be susceptible to basement flooding, check if your sump pump is in good working condition for when the April showers come in!
- Move the bed and do a sweep for dust that has collected under there
- Move the couches and vacuum to get at all the dust that’s been settling underneath
- Remove couch cushions to vacuum inside the couch
- Vacuum the carpets, (if you can, hire a carpet cleaning service)
- Take any overdue holiday decorations and store them back where they belong
- Organize videos, DVDs, and books
- Dust/wipe down the TV, and underneath it
- Dust/wipe down coffee tables, polish if wooden
- Remove what you can and place it right outside the room, or in a different area, then go through each item and ask yourself if you or your family will ever need it. If not, put it in a bag/box and have a donation service come pick it up for free
- Once you’ve removed everything, do a quick sweep/vacuum and dust of the area just to keep things under control and place everything back in a more organized fashion
- Take the area rugs outside and hang them over a railing or anything that will let it hang freely. Beat them with a broom to loosen all the dust embedded deep in the rug, then vacuum off anything left over
- Buy a shoe rack, or a shoe organizer to keep the shoes neatly organized and out of the way
- Wash any hanging drapes, or clean the blinds with a duster since these usually accumulate a lot of dust during the winter months.
- Collect all your winter clothing and store them in a closet or separate bin to keep them out of the way during the spring/summer season.
- Don’t forget to dust above doors and door frames!
- Put the patio furniture back outside
- Hook your garden hoses back up outside and coil up neetly