How to Always Have a Fresh-Smelling Home
Don’t you love to walk into a fresh-smelling home? It’s almost as wonderful as that new car smell! As you take in that beautiful scent, you can feel your stress level go down. It’s as if your body gets the message “ah, relax, there’s nothing to clean!”
Wouldn’t it be great if you could have that experience on a regular basis? Sure, but it is definitely hard to maintain that with our busy lives … especially if they include pets.
We can help! We have some great tips and new ideas for you. Read on to learn how to keep your home deodorized and fresh-smelling, all the time!
Why doesn’t my home smell fresh all the time?
If you’re struggling to remove unpleasant smells from your home, you’ve come to the right place.
First, think about the areas in your home that haven’t been cleaned in a while. One example … unless you’re an ace mopper (who is?) you’ll probably be surprised to look at the floor under your kitchen cabinets. You know, that area you don’t usually see that’s between the floor and the cabinet doors.
Check that out and you’ll see where we’re headed. That mysterious stale smell will become less mysterious as you continue to look around. Check out the trash cans around your home, take a really good look into the fridge, and open all of the blinds and curtains so they’re away from the windows, especially those that you normally leave closed.
Now, do you have an idea of why your home doesn’t smell fresh?
Mystery Solved! Ready for a fresh-smelling home?
Need we say more?
Now you know you have some work to do to have a fresh-smelling home (and exactly what needs doing). Once you’ve done the prep work, here are some basic tips for keeping it smelling lovely:
- Empty trash cans regularly. Trash cans are one of the most common sources of bad smells in any home. Empty them every couple of days and be sure to replace the liners.
- Clean out the fridge. Go through your refrigerator once a week and throw out any spoiled food. You can also put some baking soda in an open box and put it in your fridge to absorb bad odors, but that doesn’t get rid of the problem, it merely covers it up. Instead, clean the areas that need it about once a month and you’ll be in good shape.
- Open the windows. If you want your home to smell good, you should open the windows for at least an hour or two to remove any bad smells and let the fresh air in.
- Wash the floors. You might be surprised to discover how important this is! Not only will you have the great clean smell of the floor cleaner (be sure to use green cleaners), you will have removed a major source of bad odors. Voila!
- Light some candles. No, don’t — really! Don’t reach for those scented candles unless they’re 100% natural. They will merely cover up the stale smell and, even worse, will add chemicals to your home. Instead, open your windows for at least an hour or two per day (weather permitting) for a healthy, clean-smelling home. Yes, per day. Let the sunlight in to dance. Bring in some fresh flowers. Change the habits that got your home smelly in the first place.
How to deodorize your rooms
Having your home smell fresh literally means getting rid of bad odors. This can be a challenge, especially in the rooms your pets frequent. In addition to the previously mentioned tips, try the following methods for deodorizing a room:
- Clean up pet accidents immediately. Whether you have a dog or a cat, you should attend to any accident promptly to prevent the smell from lingering.
- Don’t leave food leftovers lying around. Whether it’s food leftovers or drink or food containers, make sure to clean and put them away to avoid bad smells.
- Use baking soda. Baking soda and vinegar are great cleaners together and can definitely help you get your home to smelling fresh and clean. Remember your science experiments in school? One catalyzes the other, and they become a powerhouse. But baking soda on its own? Baking soda will absorb odors, but the causes of those odors are still there. So cleaning is a much better idea.
How to disinfect the air in your home
Need help keeping the air in your home fresh? Here’s how you can make sure that the air in your house is healthy and fresh-smelling:
- Consider removing your carpets and rugs since they tend to collect the most dust.
- Dust all surfaces in your home once a week.
- Be like the pros at Happy Maids and vacuum with an effective HEPA vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t smoke in the house.
- Ventilate your home by opening windows.
- Purchase an air purifier.
Let Happy Maids treat you to you a fresh-smelling home
What if we told you that you don’t have to clean and disinfect your home all by yourself? If you’re sick and tired of spending your weekends cleaning your home instead of doing the things you need or love to do, let us help!
With Happy Maids, you won’t have to stress about keeping your home fresh and clean anymore. Our seasoned cleaners will clean every inch of it to perfection, allowing you to live your home to the fullest.